Somewhere in the back of my mind I have always considered myself an artist (although I hesitate to award myself the title). From crayola crayons way back when to the charcoal and conte sticks that currently inhabit my pencil box, I have been drawing and sketching my way through life for as long as I can remember. However, due to heavy academic obligations (which are, unfortunately, not at all art centered) I haven't been with my sketch pad much lately. To bring art back into my life--and to feed my emaciated wallet--I have recently taken up figure modeling. Here I am documenting pieces of work, observations and experiences from both sides of the Easel.
****

Friday, September 30, 2011

Wood Work

I adore working with alternative materials.
Especially as my drawing surface.
There is a totally different feel when dragging a graphite across a piece of newspaper or a rough piece of wood.
The technique changes so much!
Its challenging and pushes you out of the paper-comfort zone.
In come cases you must be more delicate, in other more forceful.
Shading becomes a whole new beast when there is a gauntlet of grains and slivers for your pencil to navigate.
And finally, one of the best things about most alternative materials: they are free!
Wood boards that are being tossed out by art classes, cardboard from grocery stores, newspapers from school, etc.

These pieces were done on a variety of wood boards.
I was hoping to continue the project and get really crazy, like a full figure drawing on a 2x4, portraits on chunks on crown molding. I haven't found the time to continue with those ideas, but I hope they come to fruition one day.
Til then...






No comments:

Post a Comment