Somewhere in the back of my mind I have always considered myself an artist (although I hesitate to award myself the title). From crayola crayons way back when to the charcoal and conte sticks that currently inhabit my pencil box, I have been drawing and sketching my way through life for as long as I can remember. However, due to heavy academic obligations (which are, unfortunately, not at all art centered) I haven't been with my sketch pad much lately. To bring art back into my life--and to feed my emaciated wallet--I have recently taken up figure modeling. Here I am documenting pieces of work, observations and experiences from both sides of the Easel.
****

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Letter Sketching

I found myself in India for three months once upon a time.
Actually it was just this past summer.
I was there for an internship with an nonprofit.
(Although it was all good fun, it is a completely different story.
See my blog A Flame To Burn the Sun for those adventures).

While I had email and Skype, there is nothing better than hand written letters.
Letters are the ultimate expression of personal, meaningful correspondence.
Each letter is so unique and catered to the person to whom it is traveling to.
Better yet, for me, the letters I sent home were not only expressions in writing, but they also became little sketch pads.

In my mind I divy up my drawing into two categories:

1) Traditional, detailed, drawings usually in pencil, charcoal or pastel that include (most of) an entire portrait or figure.
2) More expressive, less planned out, quick, on-a-whim little sketches, usually done in ink having evolved from the doodles that infest other tasks (such as letter writing in this case)

Below are some of the latter...



No comments:

Post a Comment